Thursday, March 5, 2009

Perspectives

Michael Stephens has the right idea and attitude about being a Web 2.0 librarian. I agree with everything he lists as a requirement. I especially like the idea that a librarian must be able to control technolust. Many times I've had to put the brakes on my adventure into techno world. Having to access technology on a constant basis makes it difficult. I also agree that a Web 2.0 librarian is a trendsetter. I think it's in the blood. Having technolust brings you upon to so many new devices and this in turn makes you want to try out what's new.

Dr. Schulz is on point when she describes the library as a community. A library rich with print and non-print materials is an inviting setting. Just like teachers having learning centers, librarians have their "centers" i.e. fiction, non-fiction, biographies, reference etc. They navigate patrons to these "centers" and become a living cataloger and organizer as they show patrons how materials relate. The librarian who successfully provides the patron with what they are searching for usally has a friend for life.

These two perspectives on Web 2.0 express how I feel and convinces me even more I'm in the right profession.

1 comment:

  1. Michael is a true leader in the field and one of my faves (also an incredibly nice person)!

    Did you blog about the wikis?!

    Thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete