Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wiki World

What is a wiki but an open source web design application?, you might ask. But that's saying alot. All one has to do is look at the number of people who now go to wikipedia more often then the online Webster's dictionary. So many wiki web applications are free that there is more likely a chance that what you are looking at is a web page designed by a wiki. You can go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_farms for a list of wikis (many of them free).

After looking at the samples of wikis at the 2.0 project, its easy to see a further explosion of wiki use. The St. Joseph County Public Library System's use of their wiki is one I can see becoming more popular. It has the same format as the typical catalog system that's paid for by many libraries; and in the light of budget cuts all around I can see more libraries gravitating to the idea of a wiki cat. Princeton Public Library's wiki is right up my alley. What better way to develop a list of books for acquistion then to have people comment on what they've read and add what they would like to read.

Library Success in one idea I'm glad someone used to create a wiki. One stop shopping for information on just about everything pertaining to the library is a need. Most librarians do not have the opportunity to search like they would like to for information. Their day is so crammed with a thousand other things (not just checking books in and out :) that to have information at your fingertips is great. With the addition of having many people jotting down what they have in regards to information, this site can be out of sight---pun intended.

The ALA's wiki on their past conference in New Orleans is another needed wiki. I can't count how many times I've wanted information on a conference I attended and maybe couldn't get to one of the workshops. I could be I attended the workshop but missed some detail that I now want. I see this type of wiki as a must for any conference and wander is this the trend to come. I hope so!! The wiki developed by the Bull Run Library is an example of how a wiki can appear like any other website. This may be of some comfort to those who are probably thinking "I don't want a web page that looks like wikipedia (no frills)". The Bull Run Library's website gives no hint that its a wiki except for those who edit. All in all it's a wiki world, so we might as well get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment